Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Busy Week!

I can't believe it's already Tuesday evening. So much has been going on, I haven't had much time to really sit down and write. I can't really remember everything that has been going on. I can just touch on the basics.
I've finally gotten over whatever sickness I had. Now my allergies are just horrible, but at least I'm used to that. It should die down when it starts getting colder outside.
The weather has been pretty much like Indiana weather, only not so humid. It rains in little spurts here and there, it gets kinda chilly outside, and then all of a sudden the sun comes out and it's beautiful. I wore a tank top today with jeans.
I'm still making new friends all the time. I am so free here. I don't feel any pressure to be someone I'm not, and I'm being accepted for who I am. It's a fabulous feeling. At USI I used to walk with my head down and I felt so out of place. But here I'm happy and smiley and laughing all the time. I think God put me here to remind me that I am a masterpiece and no one can tell me differently.
So a really cool thing happened Monday night. Well, I have to start from the beginning. It was me, Mary, Maureen, Elenya (I'm not sure I spelled that right, but it's pronounced El-len-yuh) and Stephanie. We walked to Harlaxton village to eat at The Gregory because we couldn't go to Grantham for some reason (I think it was because Mary had to finish her Ambassadors application) and the village isn't that far away. We stopped a local (Andrea) to ask her about the Village Shop because it was closed (Bank Holiday) and she had her dog with her (Bertie) and we all talked for a little bit. Then we made it to the pub and it was beautiful on the inside. I didn't imagine a pub would look like this. I pictured stone walls and rustic decorations and loud music. It was very....posh almost. I ordered fish and chips. We weren't sure if they had soda, so after awhile we asked and they did. We weren't sure if they used ice, because we were told England didn't use ice, but they did. And the fish was HUGE and really good...but they brought out a little dish of ketchup for THREE of us to use that couldn't even satisfy one person. That was pretty funny. We were laughing the entire time, and our waitress (Emma) came over and invited us to a pub in Grantham that night with the staff. So we went. And it was really fun. We met a lot of her friends, and it was neat to hang out with actual Britons. We called a cab service and rode in a minivan cab. We figured out cash and everything. I only had one drink because I had class the next morning and it was enough for me anyway. It was just a really cool experience to talk to them.
I started classes. British Studies is going to kick my butt. They talk so fast I can't really take notes that well. And I'm an excellent note taker. But it seems really interesting at least. Then we have seminar (for British Studies as well... the first class is lecture where everyone shows up...seminar is like small group work) and we already have a presentation due tomorrow. That's the only classes I have Monday and Wednesday. Tuesdays and Thursdays I have British Lit and Ancient Greek Philosophy. British Lit is AWESOME. My prof is really cool and funny, and he seems to really love what he does. We are going to just read and discuss, and write papers of course. I'm going to love that class. Ancient Greek Philosophy is going to kill me. He wants us to understand like..right away. I was barely listening in that class because my allergies were killing me because right outside the window the construction that was working on something in the back and with all the dirt being tossed around and flowers and grass.... I was DYING. But it might be interesting, I just have to read more on my own I think.
We went into Grantham today because we needed a few more things. It was just me, Mary, Elenya and Stephanie. I got a shower caddy and some snacks because I need things to munch on here and there. These little girls that had to be about 8 came up to me and one girl asked me for an autograph? It was strange. I signed her arm with a pink marker. I kinda wish I hadn't. But what do you do in those situations?
Tomorrow we have so many meetings. I signed up for the drama club (Harlaxton Players), the yearbook staff, and the Harlaxton Panto (which is like a big production of some sort). So I have a drama meeting, I think a Panto meeting but I'm not 100% sure, an independent travel briefing (we had our London briefing today) and the Meet a Family meeting. (We don't meet our families for another like...two weeks?) Then I'm gonna watch Sweeney Todd because Mary has never seen it and I told her she had to watch that and The Other Boleyn Girl before we go to London so Fleet Street and the Tower of London will make sense.
I have to write a paper over Mrs. Isabella Beeton before a certain time. I only know she wrote a cookbook. I was praying for Mary Queen of Scots. I got a cook.
I'm so excited for London this weekend!!! Hopefully the tickets place has extra tickets for Wicked! I'm rooming with Heather and Briana. I feel bad because I haven't seen much of Heather the past few days. But I've been mostly in Grantham. The entire group of us will be me, Mary (she's my roommate by the way), Maureen, Briana, Heather, Elenya, and Stephanie. I think Consuelo wants to see Wicked with us. She's really cool too.
I've been waiting to see London since I was five. Can you believe it's only a few days away?
I got a picture site by the way. I tried Flikr, but they have a limit on how many pictures you can upload a month. No thanks. So here's that:
http://deanne417.shutterfly.com/
I will be adding more after my London trip.

Well, it's 11:15 PM here and I should do some reading before I go to bed. It's been okay sleeping here, but the bell I was talking about last entry does in fact ring throughout the night. I haven't been sleeping all that well, but I do wake up every morning before 8 so I can eat breakfast. Proud? :)

Love you all. Miss you bunches!

P.S.
Comment please! I want to know what you all think! I need to hear from you too! It's strange to write to people and not get any responses! Haha! <3

1 comment:

  1. 1st to comment! have fun in London and take lots of pictures! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete