Monday, September 21, 2009

Lincoln/Cambridge

So a week and a half later...
I'm the worst procrastinator.
But I figured before I would write a blog over Edinburgh, I should probably catch everyone up on our trip to Lincoln and Cambridge.
Lincoln (September 11th)
Lincoln was beautiful. We get there and the group I was in had free time to begin with which was kind of a bust because we had no idea what we were doing. So we just kind of walked around and waited for our tours to begin. We went on a tour of the castle, which was really neat. We learned the importance of Lincoln and the impact it had on England. We talked a lot about The Magna Carta. Our tour guide enjoyed going into extreme detail. We learned a lot more interesting tidbits but I don't really remember them right now. This is why I shouldn't wait a week and a half to write a blog. The cathedral was beautiful. We learned about St. Hughs (there were actually two of them. I like the story about the boy better. Partially because that's the one I remember the most). So I will tell you that story. There was a little boy that went down into the Jewish district and basically just died there. They blamed the Jews. They buried him in the cathedral and people started to believe that he could grant miracles. It kind of led to antisemitism as well. We saw The Dean's Eye and the Bishop's Eye. Which are just windows. Then we saw Roman ruins. That was pretty neat. We learned how influential the Romans were to Lincoln, building roads, bringing in religion and aqueducts and defensive structures. Like walls. And more walls. And perhaps another wall. But it was a really neat trip.
Cambridge
First, we went to the American Cemetery. It was really neat. Maureen and I walked around and talked about a bunch of different stuff because that's what we do.
Then came Cambridge.
I loved Cambridge. It was just a bustling college town full of history but also interestingly modern. I bought a t-shirt. I had the best food I've had so far in Europe there. Saw Kings College, kind of went around Trinity College (that Henry VIII opened instead of his original plan to tear it all down) got lost but ended up being on the walking tour the entire time, had an amazing bite of Maureen's cake. Got attacked by the people who kept trying to fill up their quota for punting. (Punting is kind of like a gondola ride but not romantic, there's more people in the boat, and the platform that the...punters?...stand on is flat). I thought I broke my camera and about threw myself in the canal. But Maureen fixed it. It was just a beautiful day, and walking around with no real agenda. It was just an overall happy day.

I'll have all the pictures up on my shutterfly. So you should check them out. And perhaps a comment or two, I want to hear how you guys are doing.
Love,
Erynn.

No comments:

Post a Comment