Sunday, June 28, 2009

Basics

It's June 28th and I've returned to write another entry. Although I know it's early, and there probably isn't much information yet because honestly, I don't want to give anything away too soon. I like to build anticipation (maybe it's just for myself) and I want to be able to give full information and news, not just snippits. So here is the basics behind Harlaxton.
Harlaxton is a tiny village of about 300 homes, located near Grantham, Lincolnshire, England. It's a large manor (the difference between a manor and a castle is basically a manor is used as a residence and a castle is used for defense) owned by The University of Evansville. It was built by Sir Gregory Gregory (yes, this does make me giggle) in 1837. I won't bore you with how many owners it has had since then, but it definitely has some history.
Grantham is the nearby town that we will go to for all the essentials. It's the home of Margaret Thatcher (previous prime minister) and the school of Isaac Newton.
Each student that studies there is an American student, so that's interesting. We sleep, eat, study, and attend class inside the manor. That is, unless, you live in the carriage house. The carriage hou
se is right next to the main building, and was used as the servant's quarters. So I will either be inside the manor or right next to it. I'm kind of hoping I'm put inside the manor.
Harlaxton was also used for the exterior shots and the main hall in the 1999 movie "The Haunting." Yes I've watched this movie, and yes I will recall the places inside the manor where things popped out of nowhere. And apparently there's a ghost in the library because one of the residents there from the 70's was a widow, and she decided to perform seances to see her dead husband. Thanks lady.
An update about money. I still have three trips to pay off, but other than that the rest of my money is going towards spending money. I have almost 600 dollars in my savings account, and 800 in my IRA. I'm going to be working a lot, so hopefully I will get my goal (around 2,500.. doubt it!) or close to it. I'm feeling a little better because this next week I work like 37 hours and the minimum wage is going up soon. I can't
believe I only have 60 days until I leave!!
Emily is throwing me a going away party, and I feel so blessed to have the friends I have. I will miss everyone so much. But we have facebook and skype, and everyone can read this blog to find out the ongoings of my life as a Brit.
Trips. I'm going to (as school sponsored trips):
London. Cambridge. Edinburgh (pronounced Edin-boro I've found out), Stratford (Home of Shakespeare), Ireland, Oxford, Bath, Stonehenge, York, North Wales, Cadbury, Birmingham, Paris, Rome, Florence, Venice.
I hope to also go to Germany, Czech Republic, and mayyybe Poland. Depends on what weekends I have free.

I just can't wait. There's been nothing in my life I've been so excited about. I dream about it, I daydream about it, I breathe it. I love to travel, it's so insane.

I plan on doing a little project for my entry about Alexandria, so even though I'm 4,000 miles away (actually I don't know how many miles away it is) I will still love my hometown. Plus it'
ll just be fun.
That's all for today!

No comments:

Post a Comment